Happy Birthday to Me!

by brian on December 5, 2008

If you had asked me a year ago where I would be on my birthday today, I would hedge and say, “Anywhere but New York.”

But Hong Kong?

Life is strange isn’t it…

Since the king cannot live like a pauper all the time and I’ve been ahead of pace on my budget, I’m going to splurge this weekend and head to Macau and stay at the Venetian. Expensive? Yup. But I’m worth it…

Macau was a former Portuguese colony taken back by the Chinese a few years ago, much like Hong Kong was handed back from the British. The best way to describe it would be to call it a Mini-Me Las Vegas. It does have some cultural attractions, but the main draw for anyone going there are the casinos. They also have Cirque De Soleil and other shows and events. I never saw Cirque De Soleil when I went to Vegas so I definintely want to check it out if I get the chance.

So I take a ferry tomorrow from Hong Kong Harbor for a 45 minute ride. One of Debbie’s friends I met has her birthday tomorrow and she’s making the trip to Macau with a bunch of her friends. So I’ll try to hookup with her group and make it a birthday blast weekend.

As for my next destination, I’m trying to go straight to South Africa from Hong Kong and bypass Bangkok. Bangkok has reopened but they have so many people trying to get out I have to suspect there will be a major backlog.

Euroangel December 5, 2008 at 6:39 AM

I envy you traveling round the world!! have fun and enjoy life to the fullest!!…feel free to visit my other travel sites..

oppss.thanks for the comment in one of my sites!!

Euroangel December 5, 2008 at 6:39 AM

opss forget to greet you a happy birthday….more fun to come!!

brian December 5, 2008 at 10:50 PM

@Euroangel
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Get out there and take your own trip!

Anonymous December 7, 2008 at 3:17 AM

Macau is a pretty cool place. Make sure you visit all the different areas – walk the side streets, visit some of the buddhist temples, old portuguese churches and forts, etc. Of course visit the casinos – but don’t just stick to the new western-style resorts. Make sure to check out some of the older properties (very, very different). Venetian is nice – pretty much an exact replica of the one in Vegas but..BIGGER. Check out the Crown Macau, especially the bar on the roof – incredible view.

Debbie December 7, 2008 at 4:12 AM

Happy birthday! Hope you enjoyed your second day in Macau :)

Bathabile December 8, 2008 at 5:59 AM

Brian, I missed saying Happy Birthday to you on your birthday! I’m sorry. I let it slip away from me. It seems you really enjoyed it; what a way to celebrate! Now, about those ten people . . . :) .

Kymbugs December 8, 2008 at 7:26 AM

I can see you had a great birthday!
It’s great reading your blog! So much happening!

brian December 9, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Had only two days there so I didn’t see more cultural sites.

@Debbie
Yes Cornell I sure did. I feel like a Hong Kong ex-pat being with all your friends.

@Bathabile
Don’t worry I didn’t toss your CDs into Hong Kong Harbor because you did not say Happy Birthday on THE Day. I’ll just have to order the priciest entree AND dessert at dinner!

@Kymbugs
So much does happen that I have a hard time deciding what to post. Glad you enjoy the content. Tell your people!