Hostels, Round the World Travel, Plane Tickets – Help Write the Book!

by brian on March 3, 2009

In between shoveling snow (I had the WORST timing on this) I’ve been working on the travel book so many of you said I should write!

NoDebtWorldTravel.com is going into print format and I need your help.

I’ve been getting many requests for travel help and advice and I love giving it.

If there was one piece of information you needed that would help you plan your trip or even have you believe you could accomplish a trip like this, what would it be?

I want to keep this book concise and to the point and your help could give this book the laser focus it needs.

So comment here or send me a private email.

Meantime I’m busy dumping everything on paper. I know there is useful information people can use.

Harry Prassakos March 3, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Hey Brian, nice to see you got back ok. I think people want to know what range of money a trip like that would cost and where to keep your money and belongings without losing it! I think that is critical! I agree with you in making the book concise. If you need any help let me know.Do you know how to get publishers?
HP

brian March 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM

@HP
Your thoughts are duly noted and will be incorporated. As for publishers I already have some thoughts in mind for that. Thanks for letting me know what YOU want to see.

Suzanne March 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Hi Brian,

Looking forward to Thursday.

For your book, include a section on what/how to pack.
Also, when to be miserly and when to splurge.

rhonalala March 3, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I can’t wait for your book. It is an excellent idea.
I think a section on how to not be alone when alone, would be good. How you got through the lonely phases, eating in a restaurant alone, walking at night alone etc..
Oh yes, thank you for the help with the hostels. Both links were excellent. Now, it is just a matter of me deciding on where to go during my long weekends in Germany.

brian March 4, 2009 at 8:41 AM

@Suzanne
It’s going to fun Thursday. Tell and Bring your people!
Duly noted about what to include in the book. The packing is critical to any trip.

@rhonalala
Lonely is a state of mind. You can be lonely at home in a big city. But if you are focused on why you have come to a particular place you soon forget about it. If you stay in hostels, there is an automatic way to make friends from your room, the common area, etc.

Loneliness was never a problem for me. I was too busy enjoying myself to think about it!

Ebonnie March 9, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Hi Brian!
really enjoy following your blog..going to Germany (Dusseldorf) next weekend any suggestions?..an idea to include in your book is definately GOOD & AUTHENTIC places to eat when traveling…this may sound crazy, picky, snotty, bougie or whateva but when Im visiting a country or eating somewhere I want the chef/cook to be from that place..ie when Im in Italy or at an Italian restaurant I want my food cooked by an Italian :)

smlacava March 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Hmm,

An idea for your book is trying to interact with the locals as much as you can. If you make a few local friends you’ll be suprised how much more you can see of the city you’re in. In Japan, there are festivals all the time, but with festivals come a heapload of rules and ettiquete. If you bring a native friend with you, you won’t feel as out of place (I mean a gaijin’s a gaijin), but you will be able to show that you know the ropes… in a sense. I’m sure this is true in many places. Say in Frane, try to learn a little of the language, make a friend, they may be able to direct you to what they think is the BEST pastry shop in town… some dingy little shack off a side street. How would you have been able to eat the BEST pastry ever without them? Ya know?? Wish you tons of luck with the book. I love the idea of the site and everything, not sure if you’ve ever thought of it. But, if you like to travel and you like writing (i’m assuimg since you’re writing a book), why not try to write for expat newspapers around the world. That’s my dream. You can travel and afford it since you have some income coming in, and you’re travel will never be limited. There are expats everywhere!!
Good luck, or as they say in Japan, GANBATTE!!!
~Steph

brian March 10, 2009 at 12:57 AM

@ebonnie
I would say people should definitely look online for reviews of places to eat before they get to locations. Even if I did have that information and put it in a book, it would/could be outdated in a month. Internet reviews are more fluids and can accurately show a restaurant’s status quickly.

@smlacava
Your suggestions about language, making friends I have mentioned many times and will be sure to put in any book.
The ex-pat writing sounds good. There are plenty of opportunities out there. Just deciding btw them all can be a problem…a good problem to have.
Good luck to you in Nippon! I will be following your blog.