The Best of NoDebtWorldTravel.com – One Year Later

by brian on October 22, 2009

A year ago today, October 22, 2008, I took off from Newark Airport on my way to Minneapolis for a connecting flight to Honolulu, HI and the beginning of my round the world (RTW) trip.

It is really hard to believe a year has come and gone.

What was one thing I pulled out of all this?

Time is flying. Any time not pursuing what makes you happy is time wasted.

I think about what my life would have been like had I done the ‘safe’ thing – Get a job. There is no guarantee that I would have even found a job or it be something I would have enjoyed. And as we know, there is no such thing as a ‘safe’ job these days.

Simply put my life would not be as rich or interesting if I didn’t take the trip.

I would not have met all the great people from Hilo to Cape Town to Paris to New York and all points in between.

I would not have realized what I am completely capable of. I am still finding that out everyday.

When faced with a choice – always choose the thing you have never done before, the thing that makes you a little nervous, scared even. Because most times your wild imagination is making it 100 times more horrible than it actually turns out to be.

I was looking over the blog archives and I wanted to pick out some posts that meant something to me over the last year. Or they got a reaction out of readers. Or they were just fun stories that highlight a facet of the trip in their own way.

How To Fulfill Your Dream of Travel…And Other Things You Thought Impossible

I’m trying to live this out right now. The ebook package is coming after some revisions. Sign up for updates.

the bucket list The Best of NoDebtWorldTravel.com   One Year Later

Wrapping Up Ethiopia

The land of coffee ceremonies, marriage proposals and horrible Internet access taught me something about being an American.

The Best of NoDebtWorldTravel.com   One Year Later

You’ve Got Questions, I’ve Got Answers

I like how everything I packed is what I would pack if I leaving today. Happy about that. You don’t take 6 months of clothes for a 6 month trip. You take a week of clothes and you find a washer/dryer or someone to do laundry for you. The verdict on hostels – two thumbs WAY UP!

hostel The Best of NoDebtWorldTravel.com   One Year Later

I can’t look at a can of SPAM without needing some water. I’m sure someone has a blog about different McDonald’s around the world. I should have taken more shots. I was fascinated by the menu items depending on the country.

The Best of NoDebtWorldTravel.com   One Year Later

Cambodia’s Real Story – The People

Stop judging a book by its cover. I know why I went to Cambodia but why it popped in my head, I’m still not sure about. Does that make any sense? Regardless, glad I went. You stop feeling sorry for yourself when you realize millions of people would love to be in your position, no matter how horrible you think it is.

The Best of NoDebtWorldTravel.com   One Year Later

Instant Celebrity

My time as a superstar in Macau or Macao, whichever you prefer. Travel allows you to reinvent yourself. You can be anyone you want to be, you have a clean slate. Sometimes you don’t have to do it because others do it for you. I still have no idea who they thought I was.

The Best of NoDebtWorldTravel.com   One Year Later

Check out the posts above, or choose a random topic in the sidebar to be taken to a different story. They all have something noteworthy, even to me re-reading them again for the first time in a while, and I lived through each one.

This week I found out I was selected by BootsnAll as one of the best round-the-world travel blogs. A complete surprise and extremely gratifying.

Lastly, I thank everyone who has supported this blog in the past year. I truly believe the best is yet to come…

JoAnna October 22, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Wow! Congratulations on all that you've achieved in the past year! I remember reading some of these posts the first time around and can't believe how time flies!

brian October 22, 2009 at 2:32 PM

@JoAnna
Tell me about about time flying. Glad you stuck with us so long!

Mark October 23, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Hey Brian Cograts on having the best RTW Blog. Hopefully when you are ready to go and explore some more you will give me a call.

John Bardos - JetSetCitizen.com October 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Awesome Brian!
You have already lived more than most people do their whole lives.

brian October 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM

@Mark
No doubt. Got to hit the road again.

@John Bardos
You know John, that is the truly sad part. Things are extraordinary when someone has not done it. And then you do it yourself you say, "There was nothing to it."

Folks need to stop putting limitations on themselves and what they can do. Or else they will be living a life of regrets.

frugal expat October 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Hi Brian,

I think this is my second or third visit in your blog but this particular post struck me most.

you are right.. 'Time is flying. Any time not pursuing what makes you happy is time wasted'

And this thought, 'When faced with a choice – always choose the thing you have never done before……, keeps bugging me and you are definitely right.

Now you made me think about my options in life..

Anyway cogratulations..

brian October 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM

@frugal expat
You know that is the hardest thing – to realize that you might need to make a change, because everything is easier when you don't do anything.

But the way to think about it is: If I knew I was going to die tomorrow, what would I be disappointed I didn't do. Now that you have your answer(s), you go about doing it.

Nomadic Matt October 26, 2009 at 2:01 PM

wow. time goes by so quick doesn't it?

Congrats on the boots n all award too.

brian October 26, 2009 at 11:30 PM

@Nomadic Matt
Thanks and same to you on the BootsnAll honor.

As we get older, time seems to speed up doesn't it? When we were younger we thought we'd never be 'grown-ups'.

Dave and Deb October 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I love this post. It is just beautiful and a wonderful round up of a few of the places that you visited during your round the world trip. Congratulations with everything and I can't wait to see what you are planning next!

brian October 27, 2009 at 11:38 PM

@Dave and Deb
Thanks guys. Always good to reflect on where you've been and what you've done. You'll surprise yourself.

AdventureRob October 28, 2009 at 4:18 AM

Congrats on the 1 year! I just covered 6 months myself it certainly does fly by.

brian October 28, 2009 at 9:41 PM

@AdventureRob
Thank you thank you. Same to you.

AirTreks Nico February 11, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Hey congrats, Brian! Life is a journey, is it not? Glad we were able to help out, if only in a tiny way. Here's to the next year, and the next, etc…