Passport Day 2010 – Apply/Renew Passport Before Prices Go Up

by brian on March 17, 2010

In the USA, Saturday March 27, 2010 will be “Passport Day” sponsored by the US State Department.

This is a day when Americans can apply for or renew passports (passport book) without needing an appointment.

If you have any inclination to get a passport, or might be traveling outside of the United States, my suggestion would be to do it NOW.

Within the next 2-3 months, the fees for passports and passport cards are expected to increase.

Some of the proposed passport fee increases are:

$100 to $135 for a new adult passport.

$75 to $110 for a renewal adult passport.

$0 to $82 to add passport book pages. Yes, you read that correctly. It is currently FREE!

There are cheaper passport cards, but those have special limitations. You can travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda with passport cards but ONLY by land or sea. You cannot fly to these destinations with a passport card. At that point you would need a regular passport book.

In summary, if you need to do anything with your passport, plan on at least applying for it in person or dropping it in the mail before March 27 to beat any fee increases.

To find the US passport location nearest you open on Passport Day, fees and passport applications click here

Get it done now before the fees go up!
USpassport Passport Day 2010   Apply/Renew Passport Before Prices Go Up

Photo Credit: chris.corwin

468x60 Passport Day 2010   Apply/Renew Passport Before Prices Go Up

Jeremy Jones March 18, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I wonder if I should get more pages now, even if I am not full.

Tamara March 18, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Thank you for this post! I was wondering when the prices were going up. I felt it in my bones. I have an appointment for the 31st, but if I can get in sooner, I will take it!

Cynthia Morris March 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I got my new passport last month, and love it! They're much prettier than the previous ones.

brian March 18, 2010 at 6:35 PM

@Jeremy Jones
Yes you should get it now, especially since you're traveling around the world. Your passport will fill quickly and then you'll have to pay $82. It's free now.

@Tamara
Everything is going up in price. Great that you have the appointment, but see where the closest Passport Office is from the link in the blog post and drop by the 27th. If the lines are long, you can still wait until the 31st. I hope they don't raise rates that Monday!

@Cynthia Morris
Ha! Glad you like your passport Cynthia. I'll get mine soon enough.

liz and adrian March 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM

hello there, I just found your blog (through a friend's) and here I am being a pain in the butt.

Just wanted to let you know that actually as of June 1, 2009 you need a passport to travel the Canada US border by land or sea.

here's the boring government link. http://ottawa.usembassy.gov/content/content.asp?section=can_usa&document=borderissues_whtiJune09

okay i'll stop being a pain and get back to reading your posts.

brian March 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM

@liz and adrian

Thanks for reading the blog!

From the link you sent me:
"U.S. citizens: A passport issued by the U.S. Government, A PASSPORT CARD, a valid trusted traveler program card (FAST, NEXUS, or SENTRI), an enhanced driver’s license (EDL), a Military ID with official travel orders, or a U.S. Merchant Mariner Document."

So a passport card is valid over land and sea into Canada. If you fly into Canada you must have a passport BOOK, as I stated in my post.

David March 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I sent of my passport on the 02/03/10 and I did passport express which means it should of been back ten days later. But theres like some strike or something going on with the passport office. I need the passport for a school trip on the 14/04/10 which is in three weeks and I still havent gotten in. What will I do? I tried emailing them but got no reply, I tried calling them but it said the call was rejected. If i go up to the office in Dublin will I need to bring everything with me again like a new passport application/birth cert/etc…

brian March 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM

@David
If you go to the travel.state.gov website you can track your passport application

Anonymous March 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I just did a renewal. they received it on Feb. 23rd and I got it back on March 13th using regular service. Not bad and glad I didn't pay the extra $60 plus express post to expedite. The new one has the chip on the front and contains embossed pages inside. I understand it will be useful upon entering the states. There are designated booths capable of scanning the front of your book and your credentials will appear on the agents screen. I guess the process will be faster, unless you are me, and on the no – fly list. UM

brian March 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Thanks for posting.

Did you get a cover that will hold the radio waves so that no one can pick up the info from the passport?

And as aside – Any reason you're on the no-fly? Do you share a name with someone is on the list or have you done something to draw attention to yourself, i.e. visiting certain countries?

Anonymous March 23, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Yes you are thinking. I have a passport shield but it's just made out of clear plastic. I wonder if a better cover is needed. Do you know? My no – fly issues are because of a common name, one that is being used by someone on the FBI 10 most wanted list. It kinda silly b/c i've checked & and we are not the same nationality. Is a real pain sometimes being held up for a clearance. I always report early and expect to be delayed upon arrival to US ports.

brian March 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I don't know about the shield since I have the old passport, but I'll be looking at that myself when I get the new one.

No way around the extra screening. When you unfortunately share the same name, EVERYONE is going to make sure you're not the one.

francisco salas June 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM

if I have the passport book but I want the passport card how much would it be and what do I need to do

brian July 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM

If you have a current passport (book), it was $20 to get the passport card, $45 if you don’t have a passport. But hurry and apply if you haven’t already before the prices go up.

Tawny November 18, 2010 at 4:59 AM

Thanks for the post. I need to get on my mom and dad so they can get theirs.