Best iPhone Travel Apps You Should Get

by brian on November 3, 2010

I recently broke down and bought an iPhone 4.

I held out valiantly against joining the Army of Apple, but when my Windows Mobile phone died because of a disastrous Android experiment (I turned the phone into a paperweight) I decided to jump into the 21st century and get an iPhone.

One of the best decision of 2010 for me. The iPhone has over 300,000 apps for all kinds of uses. Anything you can think of that can be done on a computer/laptop/netbook, you can probably find an app that will do it also.

Combining my two loves, travel and tech, I decided to look at some of the travel apps available for the iPhone. Many of these are available for other phones, so don’t you Android, Windows Phone 7 and Blackberry users feel left out.

All of the following apps are FREE so you can easily delete them off your iPhone and not worry about losing 99 cents or more for every one that is a dud.

Sit or Squat

Sponsored by tissue maker Charmin, Sit or Squat gives you the chance to find a bathroom, preferably a clean and fresh smelling one. No one wants to walk around doing the “Hold It In Dance” and be forced into a dirty gas station. Did you know there was a nice hotel around the corner? Or a McDonald’s five blocks down? With this app, you are never far away from decent facilities to answer the call of nature.

IMG 01162 e1288323017145 Best iPhone Travel Apps You Should Get

I know you've had that feeling too...

Foursquare

You’ve prbably heard of Foursquare and it’s competition, Gowalla. You pull out your phone and it uses the GPS to find out where you are and point out places of interest nearby, including restuarants, museums, etc. The best part is that other users leave tips about places as you get closer to them. If you’re approaching a store, you can see a tip that says, “Talk to Jane. She’s the best salesperson and she’ll get get you a great discount.” Or you approach the diner listed and it pops up with, “Don’t get the steak. It has the consistency of rubber. Better off getting the breakfast items off the menu.” Any place and every place can have an entry and if there isn’t one, you can create it yourself. This is the best demonstration of user created content and using peer reviews to make the best decisions. Think of it as a portable TripAdvisor, offering suggestions and allowing you to create your own.

IMG 01441 e1288499833948 Best iPhone Travel Apps You Should Get

Starting slowly, but soon I

IMG 01151 e1288323262944 Best iPhone Travel Apps You Should Get

Learn from others before you waste your time and money

World Nomads Language Phrases

I’m sure there are applications that do more and have a wider vocabulary, but the World Nomads apps (they have multiple languages) gives you the ability to speak a new language just by touching the phrase in English and having the iPhone say it out loud. So if you want to say where is the bathroom in Kyoto and you could not say in Japanese to save your life, you don’t have to say it. Your iPhone can do it for you.

Some would say it is the height of laziness to have your phone do it instead of you, but I say take or do whatever you need to make YOUR trip enjoyable.

IMG 01431 e1288322358437 Best iPhone Travel Apps You Should Get

When you should have been paying attention in Spanish class, you can fall back on this

iTriage

When you’re sick aborad and need to find a physician, check out this app. Created by two doctors, it gives you the ability to diagnose your symptoms, give yourself basic first aid and find a doctor. If you trust Google and have your health information entered there, iTriage links up with it.

IMG 01251 e1288490875221 Best iPhone Travel Apps You Should Get

You never want to use this app, but you'll be grateful to have it

xe Currency

The currency converter I use on the web is now an iPhone app. Use it to convert currency in a clean interface.

IMG 01401 e1288322642277 Best iPhone Travel Apps You Should Get

Find how much your money dropped in value in the last hour

Trapster

Not sure if this works outside of the United States, but this finds red light cameras and speed traps as you drive along. It also warns you with voice interaction to slow down because you’re approaching a school zone. Helpful when you’re in a new town and if there’s a voice warning you to slow down, it could help keep you and others around you safe. Could even save you from a speeding ticket!

IMG 01281 e1288323348509 Best iPhone Travel Apps You Should Get

No need for a red light special...on your license

Sofia November 3, 2010 at 5:51 AM

The iTriage sounds good, will check it out. I love the World Nomads app, it’s great!

brian November 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

The World Nomads app is very cool. The fact that it speaks the phrases out loud makes it immediately worthwhile. And it’s free. Can’t beat that.

Patrice Arnera November 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Hi There,

I travel around the World at least once month from Wellington, New Zealand and am constantly prone to delayed or cancelled flights and my business contacts and family are constantly trying to understand when I am landing so that they can reach me.

I have therefore created an iPhone application that gives live departures and arrivals information for any flights at any given airport around the World. You can find an overview of the application at http://www.3dot5.net/blog/world-flights/.

There is also a draw to win an ipad everytime a milestone of 10,000 download is reached on the AppStore, more information can be found on:http://www.3dot5.net/blog/win-an-ipad-with-world-flights/

Cheers,

Patrice

brian November 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Thanks for the app information!

Jhanella November 10, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Hi! I am a traveler and you know what makes my travels convenient? My iPhone… I really have no doubt investing on one unit because I benefit from it time to time. The free downloadable applications are so unbelievable. I would definitely check the applications you have shared in this blog spot. Thank you for sharing.

brian November 10, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Glad you liked. Our phones are becoming portable computers and for those of us who love travel, why not utilize it to the max?

Randall November 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I am actually choosing between buying an iphone or a blackberry and I guess I’ll go for the iphone. First, because it has a wider screen and I like it’s look better. Bookmarked this post because I will definitely come back to try those applications you mentioned. They all sound just like what I need.

brian November 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

As I tell my friends have said to me, “Welcome to the Cult of Mac” after getting an iPhone. I’ve used Blackberrys and they are fine devices, but in terms of sheer number of apps, nothing beats the iPhone at the moment. Android is coming on strong though….

Alan Cole December 1, 2010 at 3:15 AM

A superb article and I will be sure to check them out, although I only have an iPod Touch so need to find wifi to actually use some of them, I may have to move up to the iphone soon.

brian December 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM

The Touch is still useful if you’re within range of Wi-Fi. Having the 3G data service does make everything much more portable and useful.

Morgan Mccarthy December 23, 2010 at 10:15 PM

brian December 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM

In terms of apps, the Blackberry is no competition for the iPhone. I think that RIM is going to try to change that in the next year, but it may be too late. Google Android is coming on strong with over 70K apps. I think that platform will be the main rival to Apple in the coming years.